Update: We have a wealth of information available on Learn OmniFocus. Some is available free of charge and others requires a paid Learn OmniFocus membership.

I’m one of the lucky few who was granted early access to the latest OmniFocus 2 for Mac preview about a month ago. As The Omni Group announced today more testers are being added into the mix as OmniFocus 2 for Mac gets closer to release.

I’m very impressed with what I’ve seen so far and excited that I’m finally able to share my impressions of OmniFocus 2 for Mac. The following video offers you a preview of the new interface and highlights some of the amazing new features and usability enhancements. I’ll have much more to share when Learn OmniFocus launches. The current plan is to go “live” in June, once OmniFocus 2 for Mac is officially released. Join our mailing list and follow us on Twitter and Facebook to stay in the loop.

If you’d like to take OmniFocus and your productivity to a new level, check out the Holistic Productivity™ Online Course that features OmniFocus and other outstanding apps for Mac and iOS, including Evernote, Day One and MindNode Pro. The course includes a total of eight hours of interactive online learning in a small group (maximum ten people), detailed course manuals and workbooks and a 90-day process to help you integrate what you’ve learned. The next courses start April 9, 2014 and there’s still limited availability. Visit the course page for more information and to register.

Share →

20 Responses to A Video Tour of the OmniFocus 2 for Mac Preview

1. Brett says:

This is great! Thanks for the quick upload of this preview video. Very helpful to see what’s new and what to look forward in the upcoming new version!

2. Tucker says:

Thanks for this video! Very helpful! I am a new Mac user and have been waiting for Omnifocus 2 for Mac, having long ago got hooked to OF on the iPhone. I didn’t want to learn OF1 when OF2 was imminent. Omnifocus 2 looks great. Worth the wait.

• admin says:

You’re very welcome, Tucker. Glad to hear the video was useful. I agree that OmniFocus 2 for Mac is worth the wait.

3. Gabriel says:

Great video. I’m playing with it now and overall I like it.

The only thing I still struggle with is that there isn’t enough of a visual distinction between the actual task and all the info around it. It kind of bends in. Maybe it’s just that I haven used it enough and my brain is still looking for the OF 1 visual cues.

Also, I noticed there’s no way of changing the look as before (colours, fonts). That’s probably a good thing though. Less fiddling.

• admin says:

Thanks for your comments, Gabriel. If you haven’t already, I recommend you share your feedback on the private test forum. As you may have noticed, you can change the font size. I agree, probably a good thing the colours, fonts, etc. aren’t customizable as fiddling can get become a bit of a time drain.

4. […] check out Tim Stringer’s very nice video tour where he gives a general overview. Importantly, he points out the very excellent new “Quick […]

5. Matt Chagnon says:

Great video!

@energy > easy and @energy > challenging seem clear, but what do you use the @energy > avoiding context for?

• admin says:

Thanks for your feedback Matt! Sometimes it’s useful to identify tasks that you’re avoiding (maybe it’s a phone call that might be uncomfortable to make)…and the “avoiding” context could be used to identify these tasks. You could also make a game of completing a few “avoiding” tasks each day. I’ll have much more to share about contexts on Learn OmniFocus.

6. Sarah says:

Great video; I really appreciate the demo. OF2 is so attractive and tempting, but I see in the video they are still forcing single contexts. I had desperately hoped that would change. I tried working around it in OF1 by using hashtags to create my own tags, but it gets tiresome having to do it that way. I can appreciate OmniGroup’s dedication to single contexts, but I think it will continue driving folks away.

7. Excellent preview. Thank you.
    Not incidentally, I have signed up for your mailing list 🙂
    Q: Whither notes in OmniFocus 2? I use notes extensively. I may have missed this, but I haven’t seen them mentioned in either your video or in K. Dini’s posts about the upgrade. My workflow will be dammed without easy access to Action notes. Thx.

8. Jerry Paul says:

Thanks for the intro. Very clear and very helpful. I read the comments regarding colors. Is it the case that we will not be able to color folders or tasks? I was hoping it would be an option like the use of color in OmniOutliner. What is the value or use of color?

Thanks again.

• admin says:

You’re very welcome, Jerry. Good to hear the video was useful. I recommend directing specific requests/suggestions to The Omni Group.

9. Keith says:

I just got added to the beta, and I’ve been dying to try it, but now that I can download and install it, I find myself concerned about it being a beta.

I know there’s risk, and I’m mostly okay with it, but I’m wondering if it’s a huge risk or so close to release now that it’s not likely to do anything too damaging.

Thoughts on the stability of the beta as it is now (if you can share)? I would never blame anyone even if the very worst happened (it IS a beta), but…it’s nice to know the level of risk?

Regardless, thank you for sharing this video and your thoughts!

• admin says:

I’ve been using the beta for a couple of months and find it’s surprisingly stable. Though, it is still a beta and there are still some rough edges and it’s a good idea to backup your data regularly, just to be on the safe side. On a side note, you can have both OmniFocus 1.x and the OmniFocus 2 beta installed at the same time and can switch between these two apps anytime you like.

10. […] the details of the app – there are many other great resources for that sort of thing, like this video walkthrough by Tim […]

11. […] the details of the app – there are many other great resources for that sort of thing, like this video walkthrough by Tim […]